Mold, Dopamine, Caudate And Putamen
Update to my life: I have damage to my caudate and putamen, two parts of the striatum that are responsible for dopamine neurotransmission and synthesis.
My caudate is small (atrophy) and my putamen is enlarged (inflamed).
The symptoms I get from this are neurological:
- Less motivation
- Loss of emotion or caring
- Random anxiety and random spurts of depression - unrelated to psychological factors
- Trouble sleeping
- Vision distortion and blurriness (even though I still have 20/20 results from my eye exams)
So biohacking has been paramount for me to keep these symptoms "normal".
Now my hypothesis on why this has happened is actually because of mycotoxins, inducing epigenetic switches that gave me chronic inflammation (aka CIRS).
I've been exposed mycotoxins my whole life, and recently tested my the basement of the building that I would spend every summer (18 years). It of course had mold infestation, which seeped into the central air that I had been breathing for however many tens of months.
Let's back track to before I ran this test. Back in the spring, I had brought all my equipment from Boston (the building I lived in at Boston for college was built in the 1800's so yes that was a moldy place too) to my apartment in Florida. I put up the old tapestries I had from college as well as equipment, clothes, sheets and everything. My health started deteriorating very slowly ever since I had done that. Every day I was getting more and more sluggish. I actually believed some of the biohacks were failed experiments just making me worse, but it was more likely mold growing in my humid apartment in Florida.
Since I felt so messed up and confused and still not really suspecting mold (even though I knew I had inflammatory markers), I decided to go up to Maine for the summer. I met with a Shoemaker Protocol Doc in the north east and was officially labeled as chronic inflammatory response syndrome (CIRS). Then after that being exposed to the mold up in Maine, I knew I had to get out of there. So I left and decided to stay with a family friend in Albany, CA. But as cruel and hilarious life is, her place had a leak and water damage. I was fortunate enough to stay at her boyfriends house in El Ceritto instead. So that's where I am now, and I will be searching with in Southern California for some new places to live. I'll be heading down to Los Angeles in a couple of days - going to check out check out Santa Monica, Newport Beach, Long Beach, Dania Point, and Oceanside. So finding somewhere safe to sleep has been a different type of challenge, while managing a full-time blog with employees and clients. YAY me
Back To My Brain
Anyway back to my brain.
Having asymmetries in the putamen and caudate is normal in CIRS, but can also be found in other diseases such as schizophrenia and parkinson's disease.
Now back to CIRS and neurological symptoms.
When you walk into a moldy building and your healthy, you normally don't notice anything, may just a musty smell.
But when I walk into a moldy building my senses change, almost anxiety promoting or brain fog or overall confused - I just know I don't like being where I am.
Well these mycotoxins are in some plaes and I can't be exposed to them.
Sometimes I'm asked if I can be exposed to just a little of mold (just like being asked if I can have a little dairy or a little gluten with a meal - haha).
- I want to recover and not expose myself to anything, following a cutting edge protocol including binders, supplements, VIP and a few more other things (more posts to see in the future)
- Think of the super common mycotoxin LSD (comes from Ergot) which in microdoses can cause psychosis. R
Now I'm not saying I'm going to go into psychosis by walking into the room, but for those susceptible what kind of neurological effects it has on the body.
What's Really Going On?
Now what is really going on?
Mold has shown cause dopamine dysregulation in the brain - for example, ochratochin A (OTA) can cause acute depletion of striatal dopamine and its metabolites, with cell death in the substantia nigra, striatum and hippocampus. R
Also, moldy people tend to usually have more th1/th17 proinflamatory cytokines.
Lets talk about a couple dopamine receptors:
- DRD2 - Activation of this receptor inhibits neuroinflammation R
- DRD3 - Activation of this receptor suppresses TH2, but increases TH1 acutely and TH17 chronically (by increasing SOCS5 and inhibition of SOCS3) R R
The other receptors also play a role in other things like emotion, balance, addiction, etc, but I'm focused in this post right now on neuroinflammation.
What's My Plan Of Action?
So what am I going to do to fix myself?
- Find somewhere safe to live (water damage free)
- Take binders and excrete the biotoxins out of my body
- Work on shifting my immune system towards a Treg/TH2 system and inhibit SOCS5/increase SOCS3
- Go hard on my (keto) lectin-free diet, but I'll do more experimenting with that
- Fix my NRF2 / DJ-1 pathway so I can use broccoli sprouts well (taking DIM and IV glutathione/Myers cocktail)
- Supplement with curcumin and fish oil/SPMs (only after NRF2 is fixed)
- Take some intranasal VIP and XSLJZD
- I'll probably do IV or intranasal NAD+ since CA has started offering it.
I'll still be making some other awesome blog posts and debunking long-withstanding theories.
Well, anyway thanks guys for reading my story.
I'm human and it's possible to have health problems.
No one is perfect (I'm skeptical about anyone who says they are).
I'll update some more on CIRS as I go along on my journey.