- May alleviate discomfort felt by perimenopausal women. R
- It has a balancing effect of Maca-GO on sex hormone levels. R R
- Reduces psychological symptoms, including anxiety and depression, and lowers measures of sexual dysfunction in postmenopausal women. R
- Maca did not exert hormonal or immune biological action in the small cohort of patients studied; however, it appeared to reduce symptoms of depression and improve diastolic blood pressure in Chinese postmenopausal women. R
- Enhances immune function, increases corticosteroid production, and promotes cell regeneration. R R
- Has Antioxidant qualities. R
- It’s an anti-androgen - reduces levels 5-alpha reductase, the enzyme that facilitates conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). R R R R
- May help with hot flashes. R
- Acts on the pituitary gland to regulate various hormones like estrogen, follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone, and prolactin. R R R R
This is a good combination supplement for menopause.
It can be useful for hot flashes. R
It can increase the risk of stroke and blood clots. R
It should be used for the shortest time and lowest dose possible. R
Genetic polymorphisms in estrogen receptors may change the metabolic response to HRT. R
Also estrogen therapy has shown to be effective in reducing tooth and gum diseases in postmenopausal women. R
Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators
SERMs are a category of drugs, either synthetically produced or derived from a botanical source, that act selectively as agonists or antagonists on the estrogen receptors throughout the body.
Two common SERMs prescribed are raloxifene and tamoxifen.
- Raloxifene exhibits oestrogen agonist activity on bone and lipids, and antagonist activity on breast and the endometrium. R
- Tamoxifen is in widespread use for treatment of hormone sensitive breast cancer.
Some of the SSRIs and SNRIs appear to provide some relief. R
Low dose paroxetine has been FDA-approved for hot moderate-to-severe vasomotor symptoms associated with menopause. R
They may, however, be associated with sleeping problems. R
Gabapentin or clonidine may help but does not work as well as hormone therapy. Clonidine may be associated with constipation and sleeping problems. R
- Osteoporosis can be minimized by smoking cessation, adequate vitamin D intake and regular weight-bearing exercise. The bisphosphate drug alendronate may decrease the risk of a fracture, in women that have both bone loss and a previous fracture and less so for those with just osteoporosis. R